"if I had a nickel for every damn dime..."

Thursday, October 07, 2004

Green Day, Age and Growing Up

In 1994, I worked for the Hard Rock Cafe. The Hard Rock, at that time would cater the KROQ Weenie Roast, so I was on staff, backstage at these awesome music festivals. Working or not, backstage at any concert is an experience I'll never forget. I had the opportunity to sneak away for a bit to watch this "up and coming" band, Green Day. I wasn't a fan then, nor am I truly a huge fan today however, when Billy Joe and his two buddies played, they rocked. Billy Joe ran around the stage with his pants off and they were as good as anyone on the bill. They were teenagers, and little did I know, I was about to face a tough decade . The point is, here we are, Green Day and I. I'm a little older, and so is Green Day. I was listening to one of the nine minute songs on thier new album this morning, and Jesus, they sound fucking great. After listening and appreciating them as a mature, solid, influential band, I got to thinking. They've come a long way from peppy pantless teenagers to the men they are today, and honestly, so have I. Some of my first experiences with the concept of aging are happening right now, and, in some strange way, today I felt like I had grown up with Green Day.

|