"if I had a nickel for every damn dime..."

Sunday, October 03, 2004

Starbucks


Back in the late 80's, I attended the prestigious San Diego State University, (known the world over for the incomprehensible amounts of beer consumed by it's students in a single weekend). Jesus, that was a long time ago. Aside from the unbearable week I spent as part of a fraternity, I spent much less time in the bars and clubs and chose to study instead of consume massive amounts of beer and liquor. I had to study more than your average bear because, though I hung out with some very smart, motivated individuals in high school, I enjoyed socializing and playing football. Hence, good study habits were not included on my list of virtues. When I miraculously realized the direct correlation between studying and good grades, (I know, I'm a genius) I took to studying at a seedy little coffee house in downtown San Diego, appropriately named, "Java." (I'm finally getting to the point of this post) I adored espresso, scones, the art on the dirty walls, the homeless populating the street outside. When I graduated, I moved to Orange County, (I despise Orange County by the way) and I heard about Starbucks. Instantly, the thought of a McDonaldsized, cookie cutter coffee house made me a little sick. I reluctantly entered a Starbucks a few years later. My order was simple, (unlike the pretentious dumbasses ordering vanilla half caff lattes) and I desperately hoped to hate the "fastfood coffee" Starbucks offered. Unfortunately, Starbucks Arabica fucking coffee tasted fantastic. Gone are the days of my Java. It was torn down and made into real estate offices years ago. College life has been replaced by AYSO soccer, back to school night, PM bath time, parent-teacher conferences, making lunch for my little first grader... And between thoughts and post key taps, I sip on a triple tall iced white chocolate mocha from our friends at Starbucks.

|