"if I had a nickel for every damn dime..."

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

A "Guy's Guy"

Stop... Allow me to set the record straight. Take your pick of terms: a guy's guy, a man's man, a man among men, macho, dude, stud; I am not included on that list. You won't find me glued to the tube on a Sunday afternoon, suited up for the game, watching the Raiders. I don't watch Sportscenter. The only thing more ridiculous and time wasting than lounging around with a group of guys debating about who the best hitter in the American League is, is lounging around with a group of guys watching another group of guys on the T.V. debating about who the best hitter in the American league is. That said... I do look forward to the Triple Crown every year. Horse racing is majestic and low bottom seedy in the same breath. The Triple Crown has been in existence for almost 130 years, and I have a blast watching it. I'm taking a trip to Kentucky some day for the Kentucky Derby to digest it live. As for other sports, I played football for a very long time. Scratch that, I lived football for a very long time. The experience one feels during the three to ten seconds between whistles on a football field is beyond description using my vocabulary. The ball is snapped, and in the same instant, the player on the field becomes a different being reacting solely on intuition, almost without any conscience thought. In a few seconds, he finds himself clutching the ball carrier void of the knowledge of how he got there exactly. It's like nothing I've ever felt. Even today I wake from an occasional dream, playing the game again. I loved being a part of that game. Watching it? It's okay, but seeing others play still stirs deep memories. No, I'm not a man's man. In college, I once scored dead even on a sex trait test that determined masculine and feminine personality traits. Even so, I used to hit opponents on the football field real hard.

|