"if I had a nickel for every damn dime..."

Saturday, November 20, 2004

Little

Ever take time to consider what bugs think about? I do. A previous post pointed out the fact Cerritos is a.k.a. Tree City U.S.A. I argued against the catchy title. Assuming it was referring to the amount of trees we have, I denied our tree inventory. I personally witnessed forests full of trees smack dab in the middle of cities all over our nation. I was wrong in my assumption. Tree city U.S.A. actually refers to the way we care for and conserve our tree population. Anyhoo, with trees come bugs. Back to the original question regarding the thoughts of bugs: Almost every night I habitually stroll out to the patio to confirm sighting of one of the bugs I’m suspicious of, and almost every night, (they may take weekends off) roughly seven feet up the same wall on one side of our concrete garden sits one cricket. Never more than one, never less than one. I always draw the same conclusion: The solo cricket is a lookout. He, or she hangs perpendicular to the ground watching the comings and goings of human adults and children through the sliding glass door. It must be a tough job. They probably rotate shifts. “Hey Bob, it’s time for me to hang there guarding against eminent danger for a few hours.” I never bother them; there was, however the time I decided to throw one into the giant spider web I discovered. Julie convinced me how cruel and gruesome it would be. The little boy with the fantastic idea shrunk down and crept back into the corner of my mind where he hides. I didn’t follow through with my plan. I’m happy I didn’t send the little dude to his death. After all, I’ve carefully viewed A Bugs Life on more than one occasion, and they may talk to each other in a structured society and go to a little bug bar to have a bug drink when their shift is finished to tell their cricket buddies about this psychotic man preparing to toss them into a giant spider web. They may even be tied to the evil plot behind the perpetually growing alien cucumber thing my neighbors are looking forward to harvesting, or birthing on their back patio.

|